Accidental underhydration and too much warmth



It's still rare that I manage to follow every step of a recipe when making a bread. I was just going to do a straight Overnight Country Brown, with the only changes to the previous one being the flour brands used. But of course I messed it up early on, during the autolyse of the flour: Instead of 604 g white wheat flour, I put 684 g. By the time I realized it I had already mixed the white with the whole wheat flour. I considered removing 80 g of the mixture but then decided that this provided an opportunity for an experiment. So I just went ahead, not adjusting any of the other quantities and resulting in a bread with lower hydration. The dough didn't feel all that much different when preparing the final mix.

- 684 g Dakota Maid bread flour
- 284 g Dakota Maid whole wheat flour
- 684 g water
- 216 g levain
- room temperature 25°C
- 3 folds (10-30-60)

Even with putting the dough into the basement for bulk fermentation, I got a lot expansion after ~13 hours. When shaping the loaves it felt difficult to build up good tension. I kept final proofing to 3 hours at 24°C.

Baking time: 30 min with lid; 23 without

Loaves turned a little on the lighter side and with less oven spring. The flavor doesn't seem to be as well developed: less acidity and complexity. The SO also thought the texture was a little more spongy. Hard to tell whether that's from the lighter bake, the different flour, or the warm temperatures during fermentation. Given that there is no end in sight for the warm temperatures, I have to do some thinking about how to keep my dough cooler. Maybe fridge fermentation is in order.

Comments

Popular Posts